Travel Items recommendations
Many of the following items are available in Saudi Arabia, but in order to save time searching for them, it is advisable that you should bring them with you.
- Notarized copies of your passport, in case your passport is lost
- Pilgrims arrival photo-ID Card, issued upon arrival to Jeddah. You should carry this ID Card at all times
Ten passport size photographs for use by authorities for various ID cards and other documents and procedures
- Vaccination Record Book
- Names and addresses of hotels you are staying in in Makkah and Madinah. If you are lost, you can call them or get directions
- Plastic bracelet with the name, address and telephone number of your Tawafa Establishment printed on it. Make sure you carry this bracelet at all times. In case you are lost or have an accident, this bracelet will let you get to the right people.
Take a sufficient amount of currency to cover expenses. Have most of money in the form of travelers' checks and a small amount of Saudi riyals.
Medication: See Medication
Sturdy, hard-cased luggage with heavy duty wheels. A waist pouch to keep and carry valuables at all times. Good quality light backpack for carrying personal stuff during Hajj.
Clothing and bedding:
- Two or three sets of Ihram: The Ihram consists of two pieces of white, plain cloth, either 100% cotton or light terry-cloth. These are cool to wear and also provide for better absorption of the heavy perspiration you will inevitably experience during Hajj.
- Light and airy clothes for street wear. Take enough clothes to make your stay comfortable, but do not over-burden yourself with unnecessary clothes. Professional laundry facilities are available in Saudi Arabia. If going on Hajj during winter months, take some woolen clothing as the early mornings tend to be cool.
- Three or four pairs of rubber slippers for use during Ihram. Couple of pairs of comfortable shoes or sandals.
- Two large and two small towels
- Sleeping bag for bedding, inflatable pillow and thick sheets
Tooth brush, toothpaste, moisturizing and disinfecting hand soap, bath soap, shampoo, disposable razors, shaving cream, small mirror, comb, nail clippers and disinfectant, deodorant, tissues and toilet paper.
- Bottled water to avoid dehydration
- Folding umbrella to protect from sun
- A prayer rug
- Copy of the Holy Qur'an and books that give you authentic and detailed information about the rites of Hajj. DO NOT take audio or video tapes as the authorities will review them at the airport and that will cause delay.
- Pen, pencil, small notebook
- Mobile phones to keep in touch with your group and also to phone home. SIM cards only valid for a month are available over the counter in most phone shops in Makkah and Madinah. Before leaving, make sure your phone can accept any SIM card, as opposed to being tied to a network.
- Multi-blade pocket knife, can opener, small scissors
- Small flashlight, with extra batteries
- Small bottle of dish washing liquid and laundry detergent