Instructions Regulating Group Dispatching of Pilgrims
For a pdf version of this document, click here
In laying down instructions for regulating and monitoring pilgrims, the Ministry aims, in the first place, at facilitating the departure of pilgrims to their respective countries, after Allah Almighty has blessed them with the opportunity to perform the fifth pillar of Islam, namely, Hajj (pilgrimage). This is to be carried out smoothly and comfortably, pursuant to the dates designated for their departure, without any piling up, whether in Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, at King Abdulaziz International Airport and the pilgrims' City in Jeddah. Such piling up could result in the lowering of the standard of the services provided to them, and would obstruct the smooth movement of their travel and return to their respective countries.
The Ministry hopes that the various authorities concerned with such instructions would comply with all that the instructions involve in order to realize the desired objective, namely, the comfort of the Guests of Allah's Inviolable House and sparing pilgrims any hardship. The Ministry requests all the responsible staff who are concerned at the official agencies to cooperate with the competent staff of the Ministry in order to realize the same objective.
Allah is the bestower of success.
Minister of Pilgrimage.
Locations of the Group Dispatching Control Centers and their tasks:
The Group Dispatching Control Centers in Makkah Al-Mukarramah and Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, are at the following locations:
1. The Group Dispatching Control Center on the Makkah Al-Mukarramah - Jeddah Highway: It monitors the grouping of pilgrims heading from Makkah Al-Mukarramah to Jeddah on their way to their respective countries, or those traveling to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, by air.
2. The Group Dispatching Control Center on the Makkah Al-Mukarramah - Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah Highway: It monitors the grouping of pilgrims heading from Makkah Al-Mukarramah to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah for visiting the Prophet's Mosque.
3. The Group Dispatching Control Center on Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah - Jeddah Highway and the Individual Pilgrims Grouping and Dispatching Control Center: It monitors the grouping of pilgrims heading from Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah to Jeddah on their way to their respective countries.
4.The Individual Pilgrims Grouping and Dispatching Control Center (at Kudai area): It monitors the grouping of individual pilgrims who are expeditiously heading to Jeddah or Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah.
Categories of pilgrims who are subject to group dispatching controls:
All pilgrims are subject to group dispatching controls. The following categories are exempted from the departure dates:
1. Members of medical and administrative missions that are accredited by their respective governments, who arrive during the Hajj season for providing medical services to pilgrims.
2. Government guests.
3. Holders of diplomatic passports.
4. Pilgrims accompanying their relatives, who carry a hospitality permit issued by the Ministry's branches in Makkah Al-Mukarramah, Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah or the Governorate of Jeddah.
5. Pilgrims who are citizens of the Gulf Cooperation Council States.
6. Representatives and organizers of tourist companies and agencies, and Al-hamaldariyyah (Hajj missionaries) who have movement passes endorsed by the Ministry's branch.
Schedules of Pilgrims Departure:
1. Pilgrims heading to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah for visiting the Prophet's Mosque before the date of their departure to their respective countries are allowed ten days.
2. Pilgrims departing through the Pilgrims City, at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah should arrive at the airport eight hours before the time designated for their flight take-off.
3. Pilgrims departing through the Northern and Southern Terminals at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah should arrive at the terminals six hours before the time designated for their flight take-off
4. Pilgrims heading to Jeddah for travel to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah should arrive six hours at King Abdulaziz International Airport. The date of their departure to their respective countries should be within the maximum period allowed to pilgrims for travel from Makkah Al-Mukarramah to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah (ten days max.).
5. Pilgrims leaving Makkah Al-Mukarramah to Jeddah for departure to their respective countries by sea should arrive at the Sea Pilgrims City eighteen hours only before the time designated for their departure.
6. Pilgrims who desire to stay at the Pilgrims City, at the Jeddah old airport, are permitted to leave forty-eight hours before the date of their travel.
2. Movement between the Hajj cities can only be effected by the vehicles of pilgrims transport companies that are under the umbrella of the General Cars Syndicate.
3. In exceptional cases, pilgrims may be exempted from being accompanied by maharem who legally support them.
4. The directors of the Group Dispatching Control Centers are directly responsible for following up the implementation of formalities and for making sure that their staff do perform same.
5. Throughout the period of the centers' activity, the Group Dispatching Control Centers shall operate round the clock (24 hours).
The process of departure and grouping procedures:
Tasks and responsibilities of the Ministry of Pilgrimage at the Group Dispatching Control Centers)
1. Ascertaining the departure date of pilgrims arriving at the centers and heading to Jeddah or to Al-Medinah Al-Munawwarah, pursuant to the instructions and of the schedules of pilgrims departure.
3. Matching the number of passports to the number of departing pilgrims appearing on the departure manifest.
4. Recording the time of entry and exit of buses.
5. Supervision and follow up of the distribution of Zamzam water among pilgrims.
6. Checking the presence of the representatives of the National Tawafa Establishments, National Guides Establishment, the Unified Zamzamis Office and the General Cars Syndicate, at the locations designated for them, at the Group Dispatching Control Centers and coordinating the measures taken for dealing with any slackness.
7. In the event of arrival of pilgrims whose departure date is not yet due, or those who have previously visited Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, such pilgrims shall be returned to the Filed Service Groups they belong to.
8. Preparation of daily and final statistics reports of departing pilgrims, whether to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah or to Jeddah.
9. Instructing drivers to hand over the passports to the Unified Agents Office or the National Guides Establishment, at Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah and returning the receipt coupon to the transport company.
Tasks and responsibilities of the National Tawafa and Guides Establishments:
1. The National Tawafa and Guides Establishments shall, during the reception of pilgrims, and immediately after their arrival, record the particulars pertaining to the pilgrims departure, including the number and date of the return flight, the name of the airline carrier and the time of take-off.
2. Checking pilgrims' passports and travel tickets and making sure their departure time is due, pursuant to the schedules designated in the flight schedule issued by the Presidency of Civil Aviation, which is transmitted by the Ministry through the Computer Network to all National Tawafa Establishments.
3. As regards pilgrims whose date of departure to their respective countries is not designated, the National Tawafa and Guides Establishments shall inform the Hajj mission or the tourist company for the latter to coordinate with the airline carrier the process of fixing their departure date and conforming same with the flight schedule that is issued by the Presidency of Civil Aviation, which is transmitted by the Computer Network.
4. The National Tawafa and Guides Establishments shall provide the flight schedules, which are issued by the Presidency of Civil Aviation through the Ministry's Computer Network, to the Field Service Groups, for use of same in the preparation of the departure data and for effecting the group dispatching of pilgrims in light thereof.
5. In the event of arrival of pilgrims too early or too late at the airport, the following shall be done:
A. In respect of the National Tawafa Establishments:
If it is established by the Ministry branch at the Governorate of Jeddah, that the Field Service Group is responsible for the breach, then a representative of the Field Service Group to which such pilgrims belong shall report immediately, and without delay, report to the Ministry branch in Jeddah for accommodating such pilgrims at a hotel in Jeddah, pending the date of their departure. In such case the Field Service Group shall be responsible for their subsistence and movements.
B. In respect of the National Guides Establishment at Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah:
If it is established that the Establishment has breached the group dispatching instructions, then the accommodation of the pilgrims at a local hotel shall be at the expense of the National Guides Establishment in Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah.
6. The National Tawafa Establishments and the National Guides Establishment in Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah must comply with the dates of group dispatching of pilgrims that are indicated in these instructions (the pilgrims departure schedules) for securing the arrival of buses well ahead of the time designated for the final departure, and must work out the time needed for the bus to arrive at the airport, eight hours before the departure of the pilgrims.
7. Care should be taken that the pilgrims' luggage is loaded on the same bus they take, and that the luggage is not sent before or after their departure by separate vehicles. In case of excess luggage, additional vehicles should be used.
The tasks and responsibilities of the General Cars Syndicate and the pilgrims transport companies:
1. Being responsible for the direct supervision of the activities of the pilgrims transport companies, the General Cars Syndicate shall follow up the repatriation of pilgrims, and make sure that every company complies with the instructions, shall provide the required number of vehicles, whether buses or smaller cars, and take all necessary steps to secure the transport of pilgrims on the dates designated for their departure.
2. The pilgrims transport companies must comply with the instructions pertaining to the pilgrims repatriation, by the rules regulating the process of grouping and dispatching, and shall instruct their drivers regarding their full responsibility for the passports and manifests until the buses reach the Group Dispatching Control Centers or their destination, and shall deliver same to the National Guides Establishment in Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah trip, or the Unified Agents Office in Jeddah.
3. A driver who transports any pilgrim in excess of the pilgrims whose passports he has received and signed for (on the departure manifest) shall be held responsible for that. He is also responsible for the pilgrims in his bus, in terms of their number and passports. He shall be liable before the official authorities for any resulting violation, and the company employing such driver shall not hire him again.
4. The pilgrims transport companies should not require drivers to make another trip except till after they have had plenty of rest, about twelve hours after the end of the previous trip (Makkah Al-Mukarramah - Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah trip, or Jeddah - Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah trip) or vice versa.
5. The pilgrims transport companies must inform their drivers of their duties and what they are required to do when transporting pilgrims upon leaving Makkah Al-Mukarramah and heading to Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah or to Jeddah and vice versa and that they must conform the numbers of pilgrims being transported to the numbers of passports delivered to them and registered in the departure manifest. They should also present such manifests and passports to the Group Dispatching Control Centers for processing the pilgrims' departure.
6. The pilgrims transport companies shall train and equip their drivers with knowledge of the Group and Dispatching Control Centers, the entrances and exits of Hajj Cities, as well as the points of departure to King Abdulaziz International Airport (the Southern Terminal - the Northern Terminal - the Pilgrims Terminal).
7. The pilgrims transport companies shall secure for each bus a leather satchel where passports are to be kept.
8. The pilgrims transport companies shall instruct their drivers not to return to the garage after the embarkation of pilgrims pursuant to the Ministry's instructions in this respect.
9. Stressing the need for pilgrims transport companies to use their standard uniform and to instruct their drivers of the need to comply with this requirement pursuant to the Ministry's instructions in that respect.
10. Instructing drivers of vehicles of the need to tie down all pilgrims' luggage being carried by the bus, to cover same and to make sure that there is no luggage left after the disembarking of the pilgrims. In the event of loss or dropping of some luggage from the bus, this shall be dealt with pursuant to the Ministry's instructions in that respect.
11. In the event of late arrival of the means of transport that belong to the pilgrims transport companies at the departure points, this shall be dealt with pursuant to the following:
A. If it is established that a driver has headed for a terminal (departure point) following a wrong direction, which resulted in delaying the departure of the pilgrims, then such pilgrims shall be accommodated at the expense of the carrier company after drawing up a protocol in evidence of the circumstances.
B. If the arrival of the pilgrims is delayed for reasons of break down of the means of transport (accident or failure), and such delay resulted in the pilgrims missing their flight, then the transport company to which the means of transport belongs shall accommodate the pilgrims at its own expense pursuant to the details indicated under paragraph (A) above.
Tasks and responsibilities of the Unified Agents Office in Jeddah:
Upon the arrival of the buses transporting pilgrims coming from Makkah Al-Mukarramah or Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, those in charge at the Unified Agents Office at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah shall perform the following:
1. Receive the pilgrims' buses at the departure points and record the time of their arrival.
2. Make sure that the number recorded in the departure manifest conforms to the number of pilgrims in the bus and to the number of passports, and shall accompany the pilgrims. In case the numbers conform, the departure manifest shall be endorsed and the copies pertaining to the Office shall be received, and the bus driver shall be handed a copy to the company for reference when needed.
3. Checking the time of the pilgrims' departure pursuant to the instructions regulating the pilgrims' departure.
4. Checking the direction of the departure points at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah (Northern Terminal, Southern Terminal, Pilgrims City) and the presence of the signboard that indicates the departure points, before pilgrims disembark from the bus.
5. Making sure that pilgrims departing to several destinations or by several flights are not mixed in one bus.
6. Making sure that pilgrims accompany their luggage in all cases and that their luggage is not sent separately without them.
7. In the event the Unified Agents Office causes the delay of any category of pilgrims, with the result that they miss their flight, the pilgrims shall be accommodated at the expense of the Office, pending their new departure date.
- Responsibilities of the Ministry of Hajj
- Preparations Preceding the Hajj Season
- Instructions Regulating Agreements Between Hajj Missions and the Ministry
- Umrah System of Regulation
- Instructions Regulating Pilgrimage Affairs
- Ministry of Hajj Aims and Aspirations
- Contact Information
Main reference point: